8 Things I Learned at the Southern Bloggers Conference (and will do this week!) October 14, 2012
Greetings, blog sisters!,
I left the Haven Conference in June, with pages of notes, that I shared with you. A couple of the things I learned were put to use, but not nearly enough!
First of all, you may wonder what in the world the burlap bags I stenciled for the shop, to do with building a better blog. Good question. They lead to the first two items on my to-do list:
1. Start each blog post with your “beauty shot”. (Love that name!) Don’t lead off with a less-than-attractive “before” shot. Grab the reader’s attention with a pretty picture and follow it up with the details or how-to’s.
2. WATERMARK your pictures! I finally learned how to watermark my (own) photos, on my IPad, using a $2 app, called Impression. This way, everyone will know who did the work and took the photo, as it floats around on Pinterest or the like. See my beautiful watermark, 2 years in the making!
3. Start a blog series. I’ve done this before, with my “8 Tings You Might Not Know About Me” series, but it’s time to start another one!
4. Offer visitors to Pinterest and Facebook the opportunity to subscribe to your blog, directly from those sites.
5. Join HOMETALK. This is an on line site followed by home owners, contractors and bloggers, and is yet another place to gain exposure for your projects and blog.
Install WordPress plug-ins:
6. Project gallery- a simple way to add the all important Project Gallery to your blog.
7. Carousel widget allows you to display pictures from recent posts under your header.
8. Add “Pin It” (Pinterest) under at least your first photograph, so others can pin your photos, directly from your blog!
Did you attend the Southern Bloggers Conference? What was the biggest tip you took away from the event?
Shared at Wow Us Wednesdays, Savvy Southern Style