Covering a Hard to Cover Window July 2, 2012
Updating our upstairs
We’re in the process of another remodeling project and are going to be replacing the blinds in my son’s room with plantation shutters. But there’s this cute little window above the window seat, that probably should have never been placed where it was.
That’s because it’s directly facing the west and lets in all sorts of sunshine and heat during the summer months, especially in the late afternoon. We looked into having it professionally removed, replacing the window with wall, but that came with the pretty high price tag! So, Budget Barb has struck again! (when my husband reads about me, calling myself “Budget Barb”, he’ll probably roll his eyes, wishing I really was “Budget Barb”!)
First, I made a template, with some newspaper. Then I traced the template onto a piece of foam core board, thinking it would not only block out the sun, but add a wee bit of insulation. With an X-Acto knife, I cut the pattern onto the foam board. Then, I cut the same pattern, on a cream colored burlap.
I think that I’m going to go ahead and paint the burlap, the same color as the walls, and then glue gun a trim, in the same color around the outside edge of the board, to finish it off nicely.
Ta-da! Stay tuned for more brilliant ideas! You just never know when they’ll happen!
Enjoy your day,