10 Things I Love About This Room August 16, 2011
Isn’t this room gorgeous? While I’ve never had and probably never will have an all white room, it looks so inviting. I can see it placed in a beach cottage, on the California coast. Perfect!
I love this room, because…
1. The light. How could you ever be grumpy, with all of this wonderful light streaming into the window!
2. Well, maybe you could get grumpy, if Fido jumped on the sofa with muddy paws! But the wonderful slipcovers are on just about every piece, which makes the room much more user-friendly than you’d think, at first glance.
3. High ceilings. What’s not to love about high ceilings? They make a small room look larger and make a large room look grand!
4. Painted paneling. Painted a bright, warm white, the paneling is the biggest beach cottage component in the room, from my perspective.
5. The simple, white area rug sitting atop the light wood floor. It’s absolute decadent to have an all white rug, to go with your all-white room. Maybe a little crazy too!
6. The furniture arrangement. Being crazy about “balanced” arrangements, the two lovely, matching lamps, the tree “twins” and the simply elegant, perfectly scaled upholstered pieces, arranged for lively conversation, couldn’t be better. Everyone’s close enough to the coffee table to snag some cheese and crackers, without hardly moving an inch.
7. The accent color. Grass green is the accent color here, and you don’t find it in an accent piece, but rather natural elements of flowers and greenery. The trees look like boxwood trees, but that’s just a guess. Why don’t I ever think to bring green plants into the house, that aren’t traditional “house plants”? I’m sure they might do better, outside in a pot or in the ground, but with light like this, they should be happy for quite a while.
8. The windows, which sure look like beautiful, real wood windows. I understand the practical qualities of my fiberglass window frames, but I’d give up my 14 year old cat for wood windows! Actually, I’d give up my 14 year old cat for nothing. Anyone?
9. Whoops! Looks like there are just 8 things I love about this room! How about you? Can someone finish for me?
Being the practical person that I am, (deep down), if I were lucky enough to live in this little cottage, I’d give the rug man his white carpet back, in exchange for a colorful antique Persian rug. You can hide all sorts of “sins” on those things. That white carpet would just make me nervous. And who wants to be nervous?
Enjoy the day!