Our Latest Milk Paint Project June 26, 2014
When it comes to “chippy” milk paint projects, this Davenport Desk, from the 1800’s certainly did what it pleased! Here’s what she looked like before we painted her with MMS Trophy and Grain Sack.
We decided to do without the bonding agent (primer), so that it would do its chippy thing, here and there. I don’t know what caused the front panel to chip to the extreme!
Jill did a great job painting the piece. For some added interest, we decided to paint the front and back panel, in Grain Sack. The back panel turned out great, with mild distressing. The front panel was another challenge, all together. As much as I love the finished piece, you have to let milk paint do its thing!
The paint on the front panel, flaked off in big chunks. After some very deep thinking, we decided to sand the front panel down and re-paint it, using bonding agent. This time, more paint chipped off.
This time, I just chipped off as much as I could. Then we waxed and sanded. It’s a very fun piece!
To prevent the front panel from continuing to chip, I sealed it with poly acrylic.
Since the underside of the desk lid wasn’t verry pretty, I decoupaged scrap book paper there. This girl is very high maintenance, but hopefully she’ll be worth it!
Until we meet aggain, happy painting!